Friday, March 26, 2010

Cubicle Communication

I work on the second floor of the transportation building in Mesa. The second floor is fairly large and about 15 people work on it. I work in a spacious 5x10 cubicle. At my previous job, we had about 5 employees in a small, open room where the atmosphere was very sociable. Since coming to the City of Mesa, I have been surrounded by finance and planning employees, but I still have not figured out how to properly communicate with my co-workers. Inside the cubicle, I feel confined. I cannot simply turn around and talk to someone because there are so many walls enclosing people. To add to this, I work in finance, so when I see people working, they look very into their work, and I would not want to disrupt them.

To combat this problem, I have gotten lucky, and I have enjoyed lunch with a few of my co-workers. Outside of the cubicles, it is a lot easier for me to interact with all of them. Recently, I have not been able to bring my lunch to work and I have felt like I have missed out on a lot of engagement time with my co-workers. This is an on-going process for me to communicate with everyone better, so if anyone has any suggestions I am open to hearing your thoughts.

1 comment:

  1. I have had (and contributed) to the same issues you are dealing with in regard to communications with previous coworkers. I have worked primarily on jobs that create and distribute various reports and you are correct, it is easy to just focus on that work and not stop to chat with co-workers.

    I’m not sure how much you can do to lively up the mood; it just depends on who you work with. I can say from experience is the best avenue is to involve the entire group in the discussion/event and not focus just on individuals.

    ReplyDelete