Sunday, April 25, 2010

How to Write a CV

I will be graduating in May, but I have not been able to find a job yet. Recently after reading the Economist, I came across an opening in London for a statistician/social researcher position. I became excited about the thought of being able to move to London. So I emailed the company to make sure that it would not be a problem that I was an American citizen. About a week later they got back to me saying that they encourage applications from anywhere in the world. They just wanted to know if I would be able to meet the requirements to receive a visa. I passed that test so I moved onto completing the application. For me the application was a whole new experience since our English can have different meanings for things. For example I did not know what a surname was. After completing this, I realized that the company did not accept resumes. They wanted CVs, and the only CVs I have seen before were the ones professors completed, but I had never done one myself.

So I decided to do a walk-in appointment at the ASU Career Services Center. Luckily there were not too many people in front of me, and I only had to wait for about 15 minutes. Soon I was called back, and I began to explain my situation with the advisor who I believe was the assistant director. I asked her if there was a basic format to a CV, if she had any suggestions, and if she wanted to look at my resume. She informed me that she was not that familiar with the format of a CV, but she told me the CV is basically a more descriptive resume. She asked me a few questions about my jobs, coursework, and so on and told me examples of what I should emphasize. Even though she was not as helpful as I wanted for the CV, I am to blame for that because think about it, how often does a student come in asking about a CV. If I would have made an appointment, I could have requested someone whose emphasis was with CVs, but she was very informative with helping me with my resume. She gave me great formatting tips that I think enhanced the quality of my resume. Overall, I was impressed with my experience at the Career Services Center.

1 comment:

  1. Did you end up applying? I had to write a CV for when I studied abroad but, to be honest, I didn't write it myself!! I still am confused as to what exactly a CV is.

    ReplyDelete