Monday, April 26, 2010

Single File

At my job, I have begun to take on more tasks. I feel bad because I do not have the time to assist in accounts payable anymore which concerns me because I help out two of my co-workers when I do this and I do not want to leave them with mounds of work. But since the RTP (Regional Transportation Plan) files have become my responsibility, my boss feels the need for some reorganization. What is happening is the files contain all of the forms, budget requests, accounting information, previous MAG billing statements, invoices, and so on. Though some projects may last only three years, we are beginning to see a problem with some projects which may last up to ten years. One of the project which deals with Greenfield and Baseline is my biggest worry because the previous MAG billing statement alone was at least 150 pages, and for this go around, the MAG billing statement was well over 250 pages. As many of you know, file folders can only hold so much. With auditors always coming and the need to pull previous information, we are brain storming to figure out a way to properly store the information so it will be easy to locate. I was thinking banker boxes would be key, but I do not know if this would be more efficient than just adding more file folders in the file cabinet. So for instance, we would have two file folders for Greenfield and Baseline. Oh, what to do? What to do? I just want to make sure that for the next intern which comes in, they will not have a hard time navigating through the folders.

3 comments:

  1. Consider splitting the files into pieces and scanning them in! Of course you still have to keep the hard copies and figure out how to organize them but maybe you could file them based on how you split them up to scan. Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I worked as a digital archivist for my summer internship a few years back and my main job was to categorize online material that was scanned or found online. I think going with the digital media is a great idea, especially for space saving.

    I hope that MAG billing doesn't get too much bigger!

    ReplyDelete
  3. When I started to work down in Casa Grande part of my job was to reorganize their policies. I cannot tell you how handy Adobe Acrobat Pro came in. I loved using it for scanning documents and then running the Optical Character Recognition (OCR) tool on Adobe. It was great because it picked up all the works and made searching for file easier since I use key words.

    ReplyDelete