Friday, April 2, 2010

Where Did You Go? My LTAF Funds. Where Did You Go?

During spring break, there was a little ruling on the Arizona budget. The legislation took away cities’ LTAF funds. Even though it seems public transportation has been becoming a big thing in Arizona along with becoming more environmentally friendly, the cutback is felt not only in the City of Mesa, but all across the state. On my floor, there are two people who directly deal with transit. They are currently in a bind right now. On March 23, 2010, the City of Mesa proposed new plans such as cutting Saturday services and shortening routes. This is a very troubling situation because many of the citizens rely on public transit to get to work, and I am sure some of these people work retail and a cut to Saturday services could be devastating for their job performance. I know the budget problem is extremely troubling, but I am waiting for the legislation to make a good and well thought out budget cut. Not ones which deteriorate our community’s foundations. With all of these problems, I wonder if the state will send out IOU’s for the work I have been doing. Arizona is sitting in a horrible position, and I am not liking the outcomes of the legislation’s decisions so far.

No comments:

Post a Comment